2/22/11

Blue Skies and Bicycles

Welcome to Lucca, Italy



An hour train ride from Florence, the old town was the perfect setting for an enjoyable and relaxing Saturday afternoon. With the sun shinning bright against the blue sky for another day,
I was anxious to explore another nook and cranny of Italy.
Jenna, Emmet, and Fiore (love them all!)
would join me on the unknown adventure the town would hold.


jenna, emmet, me, fiore

 
Arriving in the town, like Siena, is like approaching a giant but gorgeous brick wall. Dating back to ancient times the walls once served as security, and to enter the city we had to walk through the tunnel entrance. I can’t imagine how many people have stepped through the same passageways nor how many bricks were hand placed to form the wall (too much work if you ask me!)

emmet, me, jenna, & the wall
JUMP

The day began by moseying through the streets of the quiet town. Different from the other Italian towns I have explored, the buildings in Lucca were less brick and more plaster. More what I imagine Northern European towns to look like. Nonetheless, it was quaint and the perfect setting for an outdoor lunch.

Lesson of the day, pointing randomly to items on a menu written in Italian can result in interesting results. What I thought was pasta with veggies, turned out to be spinach and some sort of meat. If I knew what it was I’d tell you so you wouldn’t order the same thing.
But really, I have no clue, and I think it’s better for my mental health if I don’t find out.
At least the view of an old church, the sunshine, and wine made up for it.

 
Next adventure
(and possibly one of my favorite memories thus far):
Bicycles

The beauty of a walled town is it provides the perfect location on top for a path— filled with bikes, walkers, adorable dogs, and runners. I think I would work out more at home if my view to my left was Tuscan hills and to the right was an Italian town.

Anyway, bike riding was fabulous.
What could be better than blue skies and bicycles?


Well, maybe almost falling off the bike from laughing so much, or the view, or the fresh breeze on my face.


Lucca is one of those experiences that is teaching me that the unplanned moments lend themselves to the best memories. I never imagined I’d be bike riding through an Italian town I’d never heard of, but it shows life is all about enjoying the ride
(no pun intended hah)


Off to the art studio to work on my Michelangelo skills…
Love,

Kelsey





No comments:

Post a Comment