2/16/11

On Top of the World


Interlaken, Switzerland
is perhaps the most stunningly gorgeous place I have ever been.

The Alps are breathtaking, intense, and serene all in one overwhelming feeling. The skyscraping mountains are picturesque any time of day. Whether it be the bright white snow peaks glowing against the bright blue sky or their mammoth outline in front of the deep night sky: being surrounded by them drowns you in the beauty of nature.

Ironically, the calmest setting brought the most action packed weekend imaginable.

Required:
harness, safety ropes, helmet, sled, skis, winter jacket, ski pants, hiking boots, adrenaline, & courage









1. CLIFF JUMPING

Yes, it is exactly what it sounds like. I jumped off a cliff. But not any old clff. No, this one was 90 meters high. For us Americans who have no idea what the metric system is: 295 feet.
 I know what is going through your mind:
 what was I thinking?

Well I may not have been, but let me explain more.

After a gorgeous hike up a snowcovered mountain, we (about 20 of us, including Kristen Doyle and Mallory Zampa who I was traveling with) reached the platform we would be flinging ourselves off of. The view was awe-inpiring. Peaks streatched into the sky all around, a rocky gorge with a little stream bellow.

Strangely, while most people had looks of terror on their faces as the comedic guides fit us in our harnesses, I was giddy with excitement
(I'm mental, I know)

One by one we would make the leap. The only insturction: jump.
Oh, and buy a shot of vodka for two franc before if you want
(I'm not kidding)

I watched Kristen courageously jump/dive, followed by Mallory's terror-filled scream as she swooped across the canyon. My turn! The excitment turned to fear pretty darn fast as the rope was tied on.

I walked to the edge of the tiny platform and in that moment realized what I was actually about to do. I imagined more of a swing across the canyon, but in that moment realized I would be plummeting 300 feet down, then swinging.
The pit of my stomach was at my feet, and I hadn't even left the ground.

One final breath and I was off (literally). Once you go, there is no turning back. Gravity takes over and what really is only a second of falling feels like an eternity. Imagine being on a rollercoaster, only you just keep falling.. and falling...
and falling.

But before you know it, you start swinging across the canyon. And as I opened my eyes (wish I would have actually enjoyed the view on they way down, opps) I was flying through the gorge,
 screaming of fear and joy.

By far the most exhilarating experience! And the most crazy.





please look at my face
hahahahaha

so much happier

2. SKI LESSON

What better place to learn to ski than the Alps, right?

Pre-departure I was more nervous for the day than leaving for cliff jumping (once again, mental). The van was packed with beginner ski and snowboarders, all our gear, and two instructors. The drive to the mountain, like always, gorgeous as we passed an aqua blue lake. The sun was shining brightly, the temperature equal to what Switzerland usually gets in March.

Great start as I had trouble even walking in the ski boots and little five year old Swiss kiddies flew by me on the bunny hill. My Scottish ski instructor Ian was stuck teaching me and one other girl all day, lucky him.



i am now in love with skiing!



With patient instruction, a bunch of jokes, even more laughs, and some practice, we "graduated" to the intermediate hill (woohooooo). Which, by the way, was much much larger than the little bunny hill. ahhh.
But gliding down the the hill was so much fun;
and I wasn't half bad!

From the top of the slope it really feels like you are on top of the world.





3. NIGHT SLEDDING

Absolutely incredible! I'm used to sledding down the "hills" of Downers Grove, not down mountains. Let alone the Alps.

With plastic toboggan in stow we took a ski lift up to where the sledding path began (ummm I was unaware ski lifts were ever necessary for sledding).

The guides gave us "instructions": lean to the side to turn, put your feet down to stop, don't crash into anything, and don't sled off the edge of the mountain.
Well thank you for that insightful advice, I really didn't know not to fling myself of the mountain.

I now comprehend what breathtaking actaully means.
 In the distance the lights of houses nestled in the foot of the mountains were nothing but glowing specs against the snow.
Night sky and mountains connecting all around.

I've never felt more alive than sledding forty miles per hour down a curvey path of a mountain, stars shining bright, laughing, letting out screams of joy.


with my best friend in Switzerland.
what is my life?


I couldn't have asked for a better weekend or a better two people to travel with. 

The Swiss on a whole are some of the friendliest people I have met. Sunday we channeled our inner Swiss with a delish picnic overlooking the Alps and the paragliders sailing in. 

It only takes a moment to see Swiss enjoy their life to the fullest. But then again, maybe it has something to do with being in the most gorgeous place imaginable...


Love & Miss You,

Kelsey


view from the hostel lobby.
bring me back now



No comments:

Post a Comment