2/8/11

Class

Contrary to common belief...

I do go to class.

I think a lot of people, particularly my parents,
think I only go out to the Florentine bars.

Lets get real, I may go out a tad too much,
but I'm still the same nerd that's at IU.
I do go to class (don't worry dad).

For all of you that still don't believe I go to school, I will explain my classes and what I have learned.
Although, I may fail school when I return to IU in the fall. I may forget how to really study. But anywho........


1. DRAWING

For all of you that know me well, I am creative but not artistic. My four weeks of drawing have taught me a lot, but I still do not think my drawings will be hanging in any museums.

Maybe when I am halfway proud of any drawing I produce, I will post it for the world to see.
As for now, that could take awhile...

2. WATERCOLOR

Same goes for this class. Creative but not as artistic as I would hope. However, I love the freedom the medium allows me.
I must learn patience to allow the paint to dry though
(not so good at that...) 
But I do love that watercolor is perfect for those who aren't  perfectionists. And I love that watercolors will never dry the same way.

 3. MODERN ITALY

A lot of people dropped the class after the first week, but the inner nerd in me also loves this class. An anthropology class about the modern Italian culture has already taught me more than I could have ever imagined.
An excerpt from a paper I just wrote:

It is ironic to me that the more I learn about the Italian culture the more I learn about my culture as well. I never realized how fast I power walk through the streets of Chicago until I slowed down at the Florence pace and took in the beautiful surroundings. I never realized how “early” Americans eat dinner until I began eating at delicious pizzerias at 10 P.M. Drinking a large coffee seemed second nature until I saw Italians standing at the bar drinking their cappuccinos. Purchasing a week’s worth of groceries was normal until I stopped by the market or grocer daily.  I already feel emerged in the Florentine culture, and I love it. 

It is hard to put into a few words how much I have already learned about the Italian culture in a month.

4. RENAISSANCE ART HISTORY

Florence is the classroom. If you didn't know the Renaissance started in Florence you should come see the amazing works by masters such a Michelangelo and Giotto.
Therefore, please name a city that makes a better classroom.

I have already seen AMAZING masterpieces. I feel as though I could be a tour guide already. Come visit :)


5. ITLAIAN

Ciao. Sono americana di Chicago.
(Hi! I am an American from Chicago)

Please, whatever you do, please do not expect an Italian conversation when I return to the US. Obviously, the convo will not go very far.


 

But I think the most important lessons have been learned outside the classroom. Florence is an exceptional classroom. It is not until we step outside of our culture and comfort zone that we learn the most about others and ourselves.

Believe me, I know the feeling of being trapped. But step outside of your culture and you will soon find that your restraints may be a mere grain of sand in the worries that plague other cultures.

Take a risk, try something new. You have no idea what you will learn!


And of course, if you need a new culture to visit...
Florence it is. Book your ticket NOW!

Love!

1 comment:

  1. Thank God for "Class". I was worried you were playing hooky too much.

    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete